Advertisement - Why am I seeing ads? Report

We have a problem with roblox.(Warning! Long Read)

Sort:
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
CommunityReborn is not online. CommunityReborn
Total Posts: 287
29 Sep 2010 06:09 PM
We have a problem with roblox.

What is it, you may ask?

It's not the catalog. Not the mods. Not the so called "crappy" updates provided by the admins of this website. The problem is the community. Our freaking ignorant players of roblox.

Raise your hand if you have ever been on this website for more of a year.(Don't actually raise your hand). It's fun being a newbie. You get to experience a whole new world. A brand new perspective. It's like all these sounds, sights, senses pour into you all at once. It's awesome.

A year passes. You feel awesome. You're now a "veteran". Your smile fades, however as you've seen how much roblox has changed. "What happened to the friendly world I've come to known and love?" you ask yourself, as you see more and more "unoriginal" places. More unexplained flame wars in forums. More annoying chain mails, and noobs who are out to get you.

Now, what would cause this, you ask? I'll tell you. It's not the newbies. It's the veterans.

As a veteran, you view a world in which you wish roblox was better. One day you come across a newbie.

"Pfft, a newbie." you type.

You pwn the newbie using your expert skills. Now from here, you could do one of 2 things:

Say:"Nice try! See if you could try again.."

Say:" Ha ha, nub!"

By default, I know most of you would choose option 2. Let's say you do. You and other friends laugh at the newbie. The newbie has no idea what's going on. You continue to call him a noob. That newbie decided he has had it. He pwns you by surprise with a rocket. You could do one of 2 things:

Say: "Your skills are pretty good! Wanna join my team?"

Say: "Nub! Grr!"

Again, you choose option 2. The newbie is now very angry for calling him a noob yet again. He asks you nicely to stop calling him a noob.

"Good luck!" You say. You then say some..bad words.

The newbie has had it. He reports you.

Now, let's view the newbie several months later.

The newbie, now a normal player, goes onto roblox regularly. He comes across another newbie, and he pwns him.

"Nub! I pwned you!" The player says.

The newbie, just as clueless as the player once was, asks to stop. The player continues to call him a noob, and the newbie has no luck.

_________

This is what regulaly happens to newbies every day. The veterans are upset. They view that newbies aren't as knowledged, or superior as them. They ignore them, treat them like crap. And what happens with newbies? The eventually follow, doing the same behavior. Imagine it as having a little sibling. If you were to do something bad in front of them, he/she will most likley mimic you. The same goes for newbies.

Thanks to this, a cycle of noobs is born. I'd like to call this the "Noob cycle." This is how it works:

Newbie enters.→ Meets Noob/Badveteran.→BadVeteran treats newbie badly.→ Newbie reacts.→ Newbie gives up and copies behaviors of other Badveterans/noobs.→Newbie becomes badveteran/noob.→Tells friend about game.→ Repeat.

Yes, all of this can happen in rapid succession. Thanks to the noob cycle, we see more "noobs" who join a part of a bad community. Flaming. Spaming. Place stealing. Hacking. Online Dater. You name it. If they see it, they do it.

Now, how do we stop this? The answer is simple. STOP ACTING LIKE A JACKWAGON.

Do you say bad words in front of a little kid? Do you beat up other kids in front of them? OF COURSE NOT! Because you know that they will do the same. Now, I'm not saying that you should treat newbies like infants. Some are at least old enough to know right from wrong. You have to guide them. Lead them in the right direction.

I call this process "Sponsoring." By choosing to be a newbie's friend, you can show them around roblox, and drive them away from negative parts of roblox.

You don't have to sponsor newbies. Another great way is to simply change your behavior. If you do, people are ALOT less likley to act out on you, or anyone else around you.

But what if you come across a noob? One who doesn't stop? One who annoys you, and possibly everyone else. Simply ignore. If it's too much, ignore the user. If you don't give them attention, they won't have a reason to bother you. Once they see no one wants to accept their crap, they'll stop.

By doing these simple behaviors, you can help quite alot in making roblox a better place. Beleive me. Just look at insperational people in life. Ghandi. Martin Luther King. If they changed the world, heck, we can change one little website.

One MAJOR thing that prevents such a thing on this website from happening is people just accepting this fate. We don't have to accept it. If you step on crap, do you leave it on your shoe? Don't believe that roblox can't be changed. One person can't do much, true. But how about 100 people? Or 1,000? Try 10,000. As one person once said "Alone, we can do so little; together, we can do so much."

Try to do your part in making roblox better. Teach other newbies how NOT to be bad. Lead them in the right direction. Change your own behaviors, and learn to avoid bad behavior.However, the most important thing of all: Tell other people! Spread the message to other people. If you tell them, they will tell others, and the news will GROW huge.

And closing this, I say that you hope you've taken all of this in. If you're here to TL;DR, or flame, or whatever, ask yourself this:

"What am I gaining from this?"

_________

That is all.
Report Abuse
Vividness is not online. Vividness
Total Posts: 5032
29 Sep 2010 06:09 PM
Aren't the mods part of the community?
Report Abuse
Plad is not online. Plad
Total Posts: 2067
29 Sep 2010 06:10 PM
Summary:

The community sucks.

No need to make an essay about it, man.
Report Abuse
Rikerwatts is not online. Rikerwatts
Total Posts: 11071
29 Sep 2010 06:11 PM
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Boundaries shift, new players step in, but power allways finds a place to rest it's head.
Report Abuse
@Vividness

They are, but players make up a huger impact.

Concider the mods as the "goverment.".
Report Abuse
racoon36 is not online. racoon36
Total Posts: 991
China called. They want their wall back.
Report Abuse
dragon656 is not online. dragon656
Total Posts: 430
no they "control" it
Report Abuse
webhed is not online. webhed
Total Posts: 1833
[ Content Deleted ]
Report Abuse
Plad is not online. Plad
Total Posts: 2067
Woahwoahwoahwoahwoah... Who said we veterans were upset about this? That's stereotyping us saying no vererans like new players.
Report Abuse
gatolin is not online. gatolin
Total Posts: 8183
29 Sep 2010 06:12 PM
pic or didnt happen
Report Abuse
MegaRobloxMan99 is not online. MegaRobloxMan99
Total Posts: 2339
Why don't you make the community better with 1- noob, and leave ROBLOX?
Report Abuse
oh and go away nob 10er
Report Abuse
29 Sep 2010 06:13 PM
@Everyone

Please think before you type. I doubt anyone could have this entire article this fast.
Report Abuse
Mrverdesoon is not online. Mrverdesoon
Total Posts: 12957
Tl;dr
Report Abuse
dietpepsimax is not online. dietpepsimax
Total Posts: 4447
Or does ROBLOX have a problem with you?

\~/Plot Twister\~/
Report Abuse
29 Sep 2010 06:15 PM
@Everyone

You are afraid of change.

Stop thinking that roblox cannot be changed. Stop being self-centered for once.
Report Abuse
29 Sep 2010 06:16 PM
roblox cannot be changed

period
Report Abuse
MegaRobloxMan99 is not online. MegaRobloxMan99
Total Posts: 2339
29 Sep 2010 06:17 PM
Eh, I take that back. This is pretty interisting but... why make a spam alt instead of posting it on your main.

Also, cool story bro.
(Seriously, I mean it's a cool story.)
Report Abuse
@gatolin

I see you've been on roblox for a long time.

Tell me, what's was awesome about 07?
Report Abuse
being new
dundundundun
Report Abuse
29 Sep 2010 06:18 PM
Also.

I am not a spam alt, or I would be spamming right now.

This is not an alt, since I gave away my main. I don't need a TBC account.

Today, I represent the average newbie.
Report Abuse
solarsparten is not online. solarsparten
Total Posts: 1017
29 Sep 2010 06:18 PM
I read the entire article and you know what? hes right, i am going to help him in his conquest to make roblox a better place, so again think before you type!
Report Abuse
29 Sep 2010 06:19 PM
"I represent the average newbie."

noob
Report Abuse
29 Sep 2010 06:19 PM
@solar

Thank you for supporting.
Report Abuse
29 Sep 2010 06:20 PM
@Gatolin

What do you have to gain from calling me a newbie, other than a quick laugh?
Report Abuse
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 7Goto to page: 1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7 Next

Advertisement Report